Monday, August 8

Monster Review-a-thon: Mini Challenge 1


Are you happy with your review format currently?

Format?  What format?  I think there are a few reviews where I can manage my thoughts a bit more coherently than in other reviews.  These seem to go over better.  Most of the time I think the reviews are a random spew of my thoughts about the book.  It would be nice to have a bit of structure.

Scrutinize it a little more, maybe compare it to other blogs you like, anything you think you might change?

I tried to implement some changes to my review over time and very few have stuck.  I believe most of the reason is that I haven't had paper nearby when reading the book.  It is important to have that so you can write down sudden things that won't stick later.  I tried a first impression and thought it was fun but didn't seem to create much buzz.  I only put quotes in when I feel I have stumbled across something worthy of being mentioned.  So not very many books contain such quotes.  While others are just full of them.  The biggest problem I found with the quotes is some of the publishers do not want quotes out if the book hasn't been published yet.  So some of the reviews are missing some fun stuff.  I wish there was an easy way to know what information about a book is most wanted by reviewers.  I try to include what would interest me but I am sure there are glaring holes in my reviews.

Implement some basic changes and tell us what you think. Or, you can tell us one or two aspects of your reviews that you like.

I want to keep my personality and true responses to the book in the review.  I don't want it to sound like a book report from middle school.  After all this is my blog of my opinions on the books I read.  But I really want to give those who bother to read the reviews the information they seek.   I really should get my handy note pad out and take notes as I read again.