Thursday, April 11

Breathless: Novella Review

Breathless

Brigid Kemmerer

Kensington Teen
April 25th 2013
Young Adult | Paranormal

Official Blurb -

Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.

Worst case scenario I am afraid. Cautionary tale in why you should always do your homework before blinding plunging into a book even if it is by an author you have loved every time before. This novella and I were never going to get along. If only I had known before hand.

Nick has ever been a disappointment for me. When we first met him in Storm he came across very different from how he actually is in all the other books. This story though really brought that difference out plainly. I think he was my early favorite. Or at least enough that I really wanted to know his story. But then he just sort of dulled down and took a back seat. It just felt like such a gaping difference that his character may well have been two separate individuals. Perhaps my imagination has made more of it than really existed. 

I have absolutely loved the series so far even if it is a bit brash or rough around the edges(I mean these guys get in lots of fights and swear a bunch). It has been very entertaining and I could not wait for another installment. Sadly this one may have broken me of such an urge. :(

Content:
Homosexuality
Language: Moderate