Tuesday, March 6

Darkness Becomes Her: Book Review

by Kelly Keaton

A dark and lush paranormal romance set in a richly reimagined New Orleans—now in paperback!Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers a message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
I should have just put this book down.  It really wasn't grabbing my attention.  On top of which, there is a lot of swearing in this book.  Very distracting.  I am beginning to think New Orleans is just not a local I favor.  I have read several books involving that location and none of them are working for me.
Basically, this book mixes mythology, paranormal, and voodoo magic.  Quiet an ill-fitting match in my mind but it doesn't come off so bad in the book.  I do not understand the point or the big deal about Ari.  I guess later books will better help explain it.  None of the characters felt really well developed.  The only one I liked was the little vampire-ish girl.