Tuesday, December 4

Edenbrooke: Book Review

Edenbrooke

Julianne Donaldson

Shadow Mountain
March 27th 2012
Young Adult | Historical Romance

Official Blurb -

Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she’ll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry.

From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will she be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.

Similar in style or historical age to Pride and Prejudice but a bit more modern. Not to the point of being indelicate, or out of character for the time period. But it does push the limits.

The characters are so riveting and the story one enticing page after another. I am so excited for more books from this author.

Perfect!

I was able to read the book in one day. This was not my original intent. I tried to stop so many times. But then it would be just one more chapter. Finally at three in the morning I finished. I loved it! This book reminds me why I started reading in the first place. I think it might be time for me to head back to my reading roots, no more violent dystopians for me. Give me the gentler days and I will be happy. I love that it is labeled a proper romance. I most definitely agree.

Very enjoyable and I am glad it was forcefully recommended to me. Well worth the loss of sleep. This is a keeper for the shelf.

Moment Divine:
"I think a ball will be delightful," she said. "We'll introduce Marianne to all the eligible gentlemen in the area and watch them fight over her. What fun it will be!"
"What do you think, Philip? Won't she be all the rage?"
Philip held his mother's gaze with a hard look in his eyes. A muscle jumped in his jaw. He almost looked angry, but I couldn't fathom why her words would spark such a reaction in him.
Lady Caroline's smile turned hard--almost mocking--from across the table.
After a tense silence, he finally said, "Undoubtedly."
Mr. Clumpett suddenly looked up from his book. "This sounds very much like something I just read." He flipped through some pages while I looked at him in surprise. I didn't think he had been listening to us at all. "Ah, here it is." He cleared his throat before reading: "'The male rhinoceros will not tolerate any other male entering his territory during mating season. If such a think occurs, dangerous fights are bound to ensue.'"