Thursday, December 13

Inheritance: Book Review

Inheritance

Christopher Paolini

Alfred A. Knopf
Inheritance #4
November 8th 2011
Young Adult | Fantasy
Dragon
Official Blurb - 
Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.

The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?

This is the much-anticipated, astonishing conclusion to the worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle.

Sneak Peek at Chapter TItles from InheritanceMooneater
To Feed a God
Black-Shrike-Thorn-Cave
A Crown of Ice and Snow
A Cradle Song
Dancing with Swords
A Sea of Nettles
No Honor, No Glory, Only Blisters in Unfortunate Places
The Hall of the Soothsayer
Burrow Grubs

I thought it was interesting that there was a section at the beginning to sum up the first three books. It has been so long since you read those that you likely need some help remembering. At the same time it made me wonder how he could sum up thousands of pages in a handful.

So upset! I should have known better than to read this. But in the end I was seeking closure. A very mistaken desire since the closure offered was not to my liking. This book does not fit my idea of a happy ending. In fact after spending a week reading this I was left depressed for days.

I felt that Eragon and Murtaugh have each done great things and made great sacrifices which should allow them some measure of happiness. Nope. this ends far too realistically where misery is in great supply.

Outside the unsatisfying ending the book was decent. The biggest detraction throughout the book is too much information. There are a great number of contemplation moments or smelling the roses. It adds a note of reality to the character and world but doesn't help move the story along.

There are a lot of interesting moments and tons of fast paced bloodshed. In the end it just didn't feel worth my time to read it.

Content:
Violence: Heavy

Moment Divine:
"Whoa! Whoa there! Rein in your horses. I say, rein in your horses!" "Ho there, my fine fellow!" said the same man who had ordered the soldiers to halt.
"Ho there, I say! Who are you to sit here this splendid morning, drinking and enjoying a merry game of chance, as if you hadn't a care in the world? Do we not merit the courtesy of being met with drawn swords? Who are you, I say?"
"I'm nobody's fine fellow, and certainly not yours," Roran said, making no effort to conceal his dislike at being addressed in such a familiar manner. "Who are you, I might ask, to interrupt my game so rudely?"