Wednesday, April 27

Secrets and Shadows: Book Review

by Shannon Delany


Main Players: Jessica Gilmansen and Pietr Rusakova
Place: Junction

Loved, loved, loved this book.  It completely haunted my sleep.  My mind would rather stay focused on the characters than sleep.  I am most anxious to find out what happens after that intense cliff hanger.  August can't come soon enough.
I really liked the depth of the characters as well as the story.  At times Jessie seems a bit overly dense but I think that is more because we as a reader are not in her stressed position and can more easily see the signs coming from Pietr.  I felt that this book held a few surprises for the characters especially those we thought we knew so well.  There was also a good message about the importance of being upfront with those we love.  Secrets really do build walls that block and eventually can destroy good relationships.  
Anyway, I most definitely recommend this book to everyone.  There was only one small tidbit I wasn't much pleased with.  I am not a big fan of grounding a book in reality by using references to things contained in reality.  I guess I like to think each new book is in some alternate fictional reality.  So the part where she references Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer wasn't my favorite but it wasn't horrible either.

No comments:

Post a Comment