Tuesday, July 17

Everneath: Book Review

Everneath
Brodi Ashton
Balzer + Bray
January 24th 2012
Young Adult | Fantasy
Greek Mythology

Official Blurb -
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

This book blew me away. Lately I have dabbled in quite a few Greek mythology themed books. I go into it really excited. I have always been fascinated by Greek mythology. For the most part I come out the other side disappointed and I have begun to wonder if I no longer like Greek mythology. I picked Everneath up since I was going to meet the author and I figured I should try to go prepared.
Absolutely stunning and superbly creative. Brodi Ashton took the myths by the horns and wrangled them into submission. She created an intricate and believable story around the myths. She didn't try to follow the strictures laid down but made her own interpretation. On top of which she placed her fictional world in Utah which is a feat few would venture to undertake. Go Utah!  

Everneath is a story so tender and heartbreaking. The ending was so deftly weaved that even though it doesn't end in happily ever after I couldn't help but find it satisfying. The characters are so enthralling that I found myself poised on the edge of each word like a thirsty man at an oasis. I wanted to know every detail and see what they would do. 

Pick this one up and you won't be disappointed. The only draw back is there are two books still to come and many days to wait. Until then I will have to count the seconds...

Content:
Sexual: Mild
Violence: Mild