Tuesday, September 6

City of Fallen Angels: Book Review

by Cassandra Clare

Moment Divine: "You look lousy," he said
Jace blinked. "Seems an odd time to start and insult contest, but if you insist, I could probably think up something good."
"No, I mean it. You don't look good."
"This from a guy who has all the sex appeal of a penguin. Look, I realize you may be jealous that the good Lord didn't deal you the same chiseled had he dealt me, but that's no reason to--"
"I am not trying to insult you," Simon snapped. "I mean you look sick. When was the last time you ate anything?"
Jace looked thoughtful. "Yesterday?"
"You ate something yesterday. You're sure?"
Jace shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't swear on a stack of Bibles. I think it was yesterday, though."
This book really does deserve a higher rating.  But since I finished it last night and then ruminated upon it as I slept before writing this review the rating has dropped.  Suffice to say I am a very unhappy camper.  I absolutely adore Jace and everything that makes him so awesome.  He can always make me laugh and I always want him to get a happy ending.  But, does anyone else feel like his is the universes punching bag?  After, the ending of the book I am all for one ending in the next.  I have finally given up any hope of him living happily ever after.  The thing is I knew I shouldn't have read this book.  The third book left such a satisfying close for me.  But after several months of consideration I thought I would give it a try.  Would someone please pour bleach in my brain over my memories of this book?  So back to the ending I think should happen now.  Keep in mind that there is no possibility of happiness now and I am begging that someone put the poor fellow out of his misery.  Surely death would be preferable to life in this case.  Yes, that is harsh of me but if by some miracle things work out I just foresee more misery and torture.  Who would want that?  The poor guy has been through so much already.  He is really messed up in the head.
Now for a moment I will allow myself to step back from my horror over the ending and say the book was awesome.  There were so many funny moments and cliff hangers.  It was just a great journey even though I felt a foreboding building early on.  Should have listened to my inner warning voice.  Anyway, I can't safely recommend this to anyone since I don't know what will happen next.  So you are on your own when it comes to this one.  Good luck.