Tuesday, February 14

Shatter Me: Book Review

by Tahereh Mafi


Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
Book Trailer:




 


Am I crazy or what?  Who really knows?  I know I certainly don't want to find out.  These are the types of things going through Juliette's mind.  Her journey will be pass through darkness before she can answer these questions.  Along the way she must decide who to trust.  Especially, when it comes to her already bruised heart.

I just loved this book from page one.  Even my husband who usually isn't interested or understanding of my book universe was hooked on the same page.  I love the way this was written with the strikeout.  It is a new way to portray the inner voice.  It reminds me also of hidden meanings and misinterpretation.  The whole, "what you really mean is. . ."  
So I was hooked on page one and Tahereh Mafi never let me go either.  The story just keeps piling on unique moments and escalating danger.  I also love that while this is the same old nuclear waste makes a superhero book you almost can't tell.  She has taken the same old tired story and weaved an amazing world that feels brand new.  
It surprises me how many terrible and frightening ways the world can go wrong.  With each new dystopian I pick up I find something new.  Now don't take this as a challenge to throw anymore world gone wrong nightmares my way.  I don't really want to know.  It is so horrifying.  This one especially in that moment with Warner and Juliette alone.  If you have read this book I am sure you know.  I couldn't get the nightmare of that moment out of my head all weekend.  In fact I can easily make myself shudder even now over that paralyzing moment of horror.  
It seems like the predictable flaws are going to come back and bite Juliette in the butt.  Namely doubt and miscommunication.  I really hope it all works out for them.  I don't think any girl or woman should be treated like a piece of property.  
So anyway, absolutely stellar read.  I most definitely recommend this to any closet conspiracy theorist(dystopian lover) out there.