Thursday, February 2

Starcrossed: Book Review

by Josephine Angelini

How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
Book Trailer:





Moments Divine:
He looked around with tense shoulders and wide eyes.
"Made dinner," Helen told him in a flat voice.
"Did I do something wrong?" he asked tentatively. 
"Of course not!  Why would you ask that when I just cooked you dinner?"
"Because usually when a woman spends hours cooking a complicated meal and then just sits at the table with a pissed off look on her face that means some guy somewhere did something really stupid."  He said still on edge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I don't care how hard being together is.  Nothing is worse than being apart."
What a beautiful disaster!  I was listening to this in audio for those moment when I can't read an actual book.  The problem was that it was so super fantastic I found myself hypnotically listening to this even when I was no longer doing other tasks.  It was really hard to turn this off and pick up my other book.  So basically, this was finished really fast.  I couldn't stop myself.  This was nothing and yet everything I thought it would be.
It seems that Greek Mythology is making a quick rise in the world of books right now.  This book however seemed to take the old myths that are hard to attach to reality and make a completely believable world.  My heart ached for the characters as fate made all the twists and turns in their lives.  They could do none but repeat the same cycle.  Well, at least as far as this book goes.  Dare I hope that the next book will hold some sort of happy ending for this tragic family?  The emotion in this book is very stirring.  You won't be able to help falling in love with each character. 
I most definitely recommend this book for those who loved Percy Jackson but want a bit more of a grown up approach.