Friday, June 8

Armchair BEA: Ask the Experts

What did you always want to know about blogging but were afraid to ask?

Alternatively, if you've been blogging for awhile, you've probably learned a thing or two. Whether you stumbled upon a something that makes blogging easier or made a mistake you'd never want anyone to repeat, share your experience and wisdom with others.

So, that's it! Ask a question or share a tip.


Question:
My question is more social oriented. I am trying to form stable friendships among fellow book lovers. What recommendations do you have about this process? How do I transition from awe and comments to equal and communication exchange? (You are probably thinking start by not saying "communication exchange", how dorky.)

Tip:
When attending an author event try to alert the bookstore in advance you will be attending. Meaning a blogger, specifically you, will be there. Go with questions formed and on hand. Even try to set up an interview with an author. You may be surprised with how open they are to bloggers. Also, don't be afraid to mention you are a blogger to authors. They may not all care but some of them are super friendly towards bloggers.

6 comments:

  1. I think you're pretty good at forming stable friendships! I don't even remember when you started talking to me on twitter, but I would definitely consider us "stable" now. Unless you're meaning things like sharing phone numbers and such?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try talking to people outside of comments or twitter! They are great ways to start a friendship, but once you get to email, GChat or Skype (or something else) you reach a more personal experience. Having someone to gush with or rant to is what makes it fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First things first, I am so in love with your banner. So freaking cute and pretty!
    Sadly, I think we have the same situation. I would love to get closer to my fellow bloggers but am insecure to do so. I am always so polite when talking to them :(

    Happy late Day Five of ArmchairBea to you!
    Experts Say...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you just have to find those that you click with. I know that's not an easy answer, but the relationships I have formed are from continued exposure to one another for the most part. Those that I formed from non-blogging tasks were for the most part in person meetings. Folks I met at signings & then discovered they had blogs. It's easier to transition from in person to online for me. Hope that helps! Tattooed Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think not being afraid to mention you're a blogger to authors is a great tip. I'm so shy about that but I probably shouldn't be.

    Connecting with other bloggers... get onto twitter. That's how I found 80% of the bloggers I know now. Follow the ones whose blogs you read and start conversations with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little bit in the minority in that I'm not much of a Twitter girl. (That was because my previous phone was not very Twitter friendly, to say the least, and so I abandoned it. Now, my new Droid is a different story altogether ...) For me, forming the friendships came via Facebook. We've gotten to know each other on a different level than through just our blogs; we know what is going on in our personal lives and with our families. I think the same goal can be accomplished via Twitter, but for me, Facebook has been where it happened.

    ReplyDelete