Monday, March 18

Book Blogger Confessions: Can't Teach a Blog New Tricks



Question:What is important in design for the blogs you follow? What features/elements do you appreciate? What are big turn offs?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My absolute favorite blog design and long time secret(or perhaps no longer secret) desire of my heart for my own blog design is The Pioneer Woman. Her blog screams personality and I love the functionality of it. I really want to have that scrolling window she does. It would fit the way I blog perfectly. Alas, I have not the coding abilities in which to accomplish that feat. I barely know how to code a basic text only blog page. I am also pretty sure finding someone else to code it for me wouldn't be the best investment for me right now. 
When I started blogging I really loved the look of Reading Teen. They have since gotten on the simplify bandwagon and it just isn't the same. I still love For What It's Worth's blog design. I have been following her for two years and haven't tired of her color scheme or graphic. 
There is one blog I follow regularly that I wish did not have white or light colored writing against a black background. It is always such an eye strain for me. For the most part I think we all have similar basics to our blogs. So it is very easy to navigate them. I most dislike ads. They just don't feel like they belong. Turning something fun into a money machine. I get why people do them but I just don't think they look very good. Of course, I have never stopped following because of ads. I have however stopped following blogs if their graphics start to get a little bit risque. I am not a fan of such graphics plus I have little children roaming around my house. Don't want these sorts of images being seen by their sweet innocent eyes. 
It seems to me that since I started blogging there are have two different fads in blog design. Either simplification or news reel. The news reel one is definitely harder to get accustomed to. I always feel so out of the loop since I still have the same layout from the beginning. Just can't seem to teach myself new tricks. :)

I myself can never seem to be satisfied with my design. Always I am wishing for a something different. Largely betrayed to you by my divulging my secret wish. But I get tired of the same old graphics. Right now I certainly am wishing for a graphics overhaul but with spring in the air I lack the time.

Anyway, thanks for the topic.