Thursday, March 7

Rebel Heart: Book Review

Rebel Heart

Moira Young

Margaret K. McElderry
October 30th 2012
Young Adult | Fiction

Official Blurb -

Nothing is certain and no one is safe in the second book in the highly praised Dust Lands trilogy.


It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.

Emotionally draining.

It started out so lovely and then went down hill. It continued until it dove through the ground and into the earths molten core. 

So realistic emotionally.

A fictional world yet everyone has an idea of the future and a means to get there. No one spends much time considering the effect of their actions on others. So much pain, trouble, and heartache could have been avoided had they been more considerate and open. 

I feel like the first book burned bright. Characters to grasp your heartstrings and action to make your blood race. Whereas this book was more depressing and a mix of blunders small and spectacular. I find myself in agreeing with Saba. I don't know the book characters or myself anymore. After the first book I thought I would follow Jack and Saba to the ends of the earth. Now it is like they grew up and got responsible and dull. I've lost interest. 

Instead of being soothed by Jack's little rendezvous at the end I am upset. Jerk! And really where does Saba go from here? I think there is too big a chasm and I can't see a way forward. What future could their possibly be for any of them? What further torture and misery waits in the wings? I am calling the next book a wait and see. Right now without some super stellar reviews I won't likely be finishing this story.

Content:
Language: Moderate to Heavy