Tuesday, January 4

Enchantment

by Orson Scott Card

Three Stars

This book has been sitting on my shelf for a year or so now but I always found other books I would rather read.  My husband tried to get me to read Ender's Game which didn't work.  I just didn't like the interactions between the brothers.  This book was no different, the same types of moments happened again and again.  I think the reason I was able to stick with it has more to do with the other books I have been reading recently.  This book felt so full and alive with all of its detail not related to lustful thoughts and romantic moments.  It was nice to be reminded what a story should be like.  Romance will always be my favorite part of every book, but I like to use my imagination to fill in the blanks of how they fill instead of being spoon fed.  So back to the book, it was odd but very entertaining.  This is not a read a few pages and set it down sort of commitment.  You really need set real time aside to give this world time to fully manifest.  The language at times and other moments were a bit crude which lowers my opinion of the book.