Tuesday, December 20

Away: Book Review

by Teri Hall


This was a great quick read.  As seems to be the case in most dystopian novels Teri Hall has no problems letting the characters drop off like flies.  It also seemed like the deaths were rather sudden.  One minute everything seemed just fine and then bam, dead.  I don't feel the same draw at the end of this book as I did with the previous.  After The Line I really wanted to see what was going to happen.  There seemed to be several open questions and scenarios.  For instance, I wanted to see what was going to happen between Pathik and Rachel.  I thought that something might be budding there but wasn't sure.  With this book I can't really think of anything I am all that curious about.  It isn't that there aren't things left unfinished, just more I am uninterested in how they work out.  My favorite part of the book was the reunion.  I almost cried it was so touching.  I won't say more than that for fear of spoiling but it was definitely worth reading the book for that alone.
Spoiler Section:
Alright, I get rather confused with the relationship between Pathik and Rachel.  They are all off and then on with very little really happening.
Okay maybe I am a horrible person but I wasn't fond of how it ended with Indigo.  I mean here he decides it would be better to take his own life rather than those of his captors.  Doesn't anyone think it should have been the other way around?  I sure do!  I mean the the interrogator alone tortured two little boys to death.  I don't think that is right and the world would be a better place without him.  Now he will just go on and do it to someone else.  So really Indigo can add those innocent lives to his tally of murders.  Just not right.  I guess it might have been too easy leaving a character alive that could help them defend themselves.  We can't have it be so easy or people wouldn't want to read it.