Tuesday, December 6

Crossed: Book Review

by Ally Condie


Moment Divine: "Cassia and I sit as near to each other as we can.  She leans into me and I keep my arms around her.  I don't fool myself that I hold her together--she does that on her own--but holding her keeps me from flying apart."

This was a spectacular read.  I just couldn't put this one down for long.   I should have been sleeping every second at night, newborn and all, but I found myself up reading.  Yep, a bit more tired than I should be but it was worth it.  Oh, and the cover is just divine, very eye-catching.
How I have missed Ky.  I am so glad that we were able to spend so much time in his perspective.  I especially love the sweet romance between Ky and Cassia.  It seems so innocent and character building.  Through this experience they have both been able to grow.  They have so much cute dialog and thoughts, just like the quote above(check the blog for quote).  Speaking of which, I just love how this isn't traditional.  More often than not the guys are completely self possessed and the girl is the fluttery one.  It was nice of the author to acknowledge that guys aren't bullet proof in this area.  They have feelings and weaknesses much like the "weaker" sex.  I think this might be why women are sometimes attracted to men with babies.  We just like to see the softer side.  Somehow instead of making them look weak it really makes them look more complete and approachable.  I loved being able to learn more about Ky.  His background is so real and involving it is hard to remember while reading that he is fictional.  In fact, this whole book was a learning curve.  I think that the picture we have been painted was in fact a decoy.  Perhaps, things aren't as they seem and Ky and Cassia are going to play a much bigger part than those that have been scripted for them.  How long will they play along before they have had enough?  It doesn't seem to me that either side is any better.  Perhaps, I just don't have all the information yet.  
I can't wait to read the next book.  I can tell that some very truth telling moments are going to come forth which will test Cassia.  She will have to decide who to trust and who to give her heart to.