Tuesday, December 27

Bargains and Betrayals: Book Review

by Shannon Delany
Locked away at Pecan Place, Jessie finds her situation to be even more dangerous than she feared. While she struggles to maintain her sanity and discover answers about the group that seems less and less like any legitimate government agency, Pietr fights to keep their relationship alive. But very aware that his mother’s time is running out, Pietr makes a deal he doesn’t dare tell Jessie about. Because the deal Pietr’s made could mean the death of far more than his tenuous relationship with the girl he loves.
Moments Divine: "Oh, please, Jessie. Forget all the wacky crap going on around here for a minute or five. Pass me the comics."
"I don't think there are--"
"Of course there are comics. They're the only redeeming feature to the newspaper. without comics, newspapers would be crap, crap, and more crap."
"And sports," I said.
She rolled her eyes and said, "See above. Crap." --------------------------------------------------------------------
"Some company that may or may not be potentially affiliated with the CIA wants the werewolves to be their dog soldiers. The Russian Mafia wants them, too, for some scheme to eventually overthrow the government of Russia. I know, I know. It sounds like some crazy plot cooked up by a housewife-turned-author. But that saying Truth is stranger than fiction? Dead on. And, because we can stop the werewolves from being werewolves, both groups would like us dead."

I was supposed to be reading a different book but didn't have it on me so I picked up this one.  I didn't intend to read it for more than a few minutes.  But much like the other books in this series, I got hooked.  I would definitely label this series a surprising find.  I picked the first up because I was a bit desperate for reading material.
I think it helps that I am a sucker for werewolves.  What is not to love?  Pietr is just stellar and it sure doesn't hurt for him to sprinkle Russian words here and there.  I am just a sucker for fictional accents.  It really does work.  I feel Shannon Delany has created such a believable world and characters that they are nearly real.  I swear I can hear Pietr's voice.  The ending of this book was sweet!  The pages are full of drama and excitement.  Don't judge this by the cover, which I felt is average.  Go read this, you aren't likely to be disappointed.