Friday, August 5

Follow Friday: 8/5




Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?).

Well, I do remember the first books that got me into reading as a teenager.  It was the fear street series by R.L. Stine.  Looking back I don't quite get the appeal but they worked for me at the time.  After those books ran dry I started looking around.  Naturally, through assignments in English I read some classics.  That was the next area of books that fed my reading need.  My most favorite from the classics is Jane Eyre.  I have owned a copy since high school and have read it so many times it feels like a friend.  I felt bereft when I misplaced it during college.  But somehow the copy found its way back to me even though someone had marked it up a bit.  I don't know that any one book has changed my life but I am sure they have helped to shape who I am.  Books are mostly an escape for me.  I use them to calm my troubled heart or rest my weary mind.  I feel as if they can pull all the unwanted feelings and concerns from my mind leaving me a bit more ready to face the world.  On top of that I believe that when reading these books I get to have more control.  I can decide how much energy to invest in the characters and thereby feel more or less emotion.  Real life isn't so easy.  Plus, if things are going horribly wrong in a book I can close it walk away and imagine a happy ending for the characters.  Besides when I read a book I become a non entity.  I exist as an observer not someone with troubles of their own.  It isn't until I leave the book that I become a person again.  The books provide a temporary haven of comfort.

7 comments:

  1. The book that really changed the way that I read was The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. Not sure what it was about it, I think it the feeling I had when it was over that just made me grab every YA book within a 5 foot radius and start devouring them. I haven't stopped reading since.
    I am not doing Follow Friday this week because I am just getting back on the blogging train after being internet-less for the last few months but I did post a review today of Dreamland Social Club on my blog. If you want to check it out it can be found here:
    http://lostinyawonderland.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-dreamland-social-club-by-tara.html

    I am an old follower by the way.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading the Fear Street books. They were so freaky and yet had so much appeal to all teens and preteens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice! There are so many books to choose from; this was quite the difficult question for me. I'd love if you checked out what I picked for this FF :D

    Btw, LOVE THE BLOG... I quickly became a NEW follower.

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Friday Blog hop! I'd love it if you'd follow back at one or all of my blogs :)

    www.singleparentretreat.com
    www.motherdaughterconnecx.com
    http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower. come visit me over at Livre De Amour if you get the chance. Interesting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I am a BRAND NEW follower! I really love what you said about books - I totally agree with you. Also, YAY on the P&P love. I've only read it once, but it made THAT much of an impression on me!

    Please come on over to check out my blog, and my answers!

    http://onceuponaprologue.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-13-book-blogger-hop-11.html

    ReplyDelete