Saturday, February 19

Past Midnight: Book Review

by Mara Purnhagen


Why did I pick this book?
I received the sequel for review and had to do some research.  You can't start reading in the middle of a series, right?

First Chapter: Average
Prediction based upon first chapter: (3)

Main Player: Charlotte Silver
Place: South Carolina

This was a fun quick little read.  I liked that it was covering "ghosts" from a skeptical perspective.  Somehow, the convincing of a skeptic just seems more exciting.  There was a great family dynamic going in this book.  At least in such a way as to seem dysfunctional.  I liked how that dynamic changed throughout the book.  It was even nice to read a book that was just about completely void of romance.  The storyline provided was catching enough that I almost didn't miss the lack of romance.  Almost, there were a few moments I thought it might be nice.  Overall, I think the author made a good choice not involving romance.  I can see how it would have distracted from what was happening.  Although, I think the next book might hold both the excitement and the romance making for a more enticing read.
As far as horror, this book really didn't hold much.  I can't imagine even a remote possibility of nightmares.  There wasn't a single moment that I could even say I shivered in imaginary fear.  It was just a good read that dabbled a bit in horror.

Spoiler Section:
Avery was a bit of a crack pot.  I was sure expecting something more horrible to come of the cheer leading squad.  Maybe, I am just projecting my own beliefs about cheer leading squads onto this one.  Or perhaps, in this next book things will start to change.  It was nice to see a friendly set of cheerleaders.  Well, almost friendly since they seemed to hold enough power and malice to destroy one kids life.  I am glad that he didn't go and attempt suicide over what he was suffering.  
Another thing, so this secret that James was holding seemed just a bit weak.  At first I was completely baffled as to why it was such a big deal.  I guess I was a bit slow.  Once I grasped why it was so important I was glad that it didn't become a whole other issue and that they were able to get past the death.