Tuesday, October 9

The Lost Prince: Book Review

The Lost Prince

Julie Kagawa

Harlequin Teen
October 23rd 2012
Young Adult | Fantasy
Fae
Official Blurb - 
Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

I loved Ethan and his inner commentary.

There were several references to Ethan and Keirran resembling Ash and Puck. I just couldn't connect that train of thought.

Keirran seemed lack luster to me. Like a privileged child throwing a fit and having no understanding of the world around him. He would just plunge into the unknown and leave his messes to be cleaned up by others. I think he also comes across as lacking because he is following in Ash's footsteps. Can anyone measure up to him?

I really liked the use of Kali in this book. It sounded so great that I almost want to look into joining. Except I don't relish the idea of being beat up and sporting black and blue badges.

I felt a bit lost, or out of the loop, during this book. It might have had something to do with an entirely new race of Fae being introduced. Up to this point I felt I could grasp most of the Fae. Their tales have been around a very long time. But these new Fae are not anything I am even slightly familiar with. They are so scary and unstoppable it made the tiny team sent against them seem like babies. Babies sent to be slaughtered. I think the new Fae even think of them as babies, harmless. Why would anyone entrust the fate of all Fae to three teenagers? Two of which are nothing much, being human.

The romance was really fast and up front, almost too easy. The romantic pairing is already in place before the book even begins. Without any in depth background on this relationship I was left wondering about its strength. Keirran seemed to have no backbone, suffering from a bad case of puppy love. I am at least glad that there wasn't a love triangle.

Content:
Violence: Moderate

Moment Divine:
"And. . .you are. . .?" Kenzie prompted. I looked away. "Not interested."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Well, I'm glad this place has the same gorilla-faced morons as my old school," I said, not moving from where I stood."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Hmm, never mind, just give me yours. Something tells me I could tattoo my number on your forehead and you wouldn't remember to call."
------------------------------------------------------------
"If every newscaster got scared off by the threat of violence or kidnapping or death, there wouldn't be any news at all. They have to brave a lot to get their stories. Consider yourself practice for the real world."
------------------------------------------------------------
"You know I'm probably going to hover around you for the rest of your life, now. I'll be that creepy stalker guy, always watching you through the fence or following you down the hallway, making sure you're all right."
"Oh?" She laughed. "Is that all it takes to get you to stick around? I should've done this whole bargain-your-life-away-to-the-fairies thing sooner."
"I'll be sure to wear a hockey mask, then. So you know it's me."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Quaint and picturesque, though I didn't voice my opinion out loud. Keirran and Annwyl were fairies, and Kenzie was a girl, so it was okay for them to notice such things. As a card-carrying member of the guy club, I wasn't going to comment on the floral arrangements."
------------------------------------------------------------
"He's a half-breed, and was taken by those same type of creatures that suck out the glamour of normal fey."
"I thought that's what they were doing. Ugh." Puck gave and exaggerated shiver and brushed at his arms. "Nasty creepy things. I'm feeling very violated right now."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Besides, you're not the most comforting presence to lead a bunch of scared, crazy people to safety. If they start crying, you can't just crack your knuckles and threaten them to get them to move."
I frowned. "I wouldn't use my fists. A sword is much more threatening."
------------------------------------------------------------
"Maybe we should drop in and introduce ourselves, ice-boy. Do the whole, hey, we were just in the neighborhood, and we were just wondering if you had any plans to take over the Nevernever. Have a fruit basket."